Sunday, December 21, 2008

Alone Shark

by Magnolia

Sportsfan is sick! He NEVER gets sick especially on the night of his favorite party in town. I knew he couldn’t go, but I certainly wasn’t going to miss the party. And on top of that, Chick was in town. There’s no better substitute for a date.

So Chick picks me up and I won’t let her in since my house is in quarantine. I get in the car as I’m cramming a list into my teeny tiny little purse. Chick asks what it is and I tell her that I’m Sportsfan’s collection agent tonight and this is the list of people that owe him money for his football pool.

Sportsfan has an annual college football pool that he coordinates called Bowlaroo. Bowlaroo has become quite famous around these parts and does require a good bit of work to put together. Countless emails, bookkeeping, money collecting, etc keep Sportsfan very busy this time of year. He likes to act like it’s a big hassle, but secretly he loves it.

“You’ve got to be kidding me”, Chick says. “Sportsfan is inside sick as a dog and somehow he musters the energy to write a list down for you?” I explain to her the significance because the deadline is the next morning. Capitol One Bowl Week starts at 10:00 a.m. so I have a important job tonight! Sportsfan kicks people out if they don’t pay on time!


Chick and I arrive at the party. We play date to each other as she goes to the bar and I go put our coats away. Then it’s down to business. I’ve got my list and I’m checking it twice. I find myself harassing one of the hosts of this wonderful party for only paying me for one entry when my list says there are two. Oh well, I’ll let it slide. Sportsfan knows where to find him.


At the end of the night, I have completed my task and feel like I’ve accomplished something. However, I won’t bring such a teeny tiny little purse next time. My lip gloss got lost in all that cash!

1 comment:

Chick said...

I wish Sportsfan the speediest recovery but I had soooo much fun running with Magnolia the other night!!

She was hysterical marching around the party on the Bowlaroo Beatdown for cash. let's just say I'm glad I don't owe her any money...