Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Road Goes On Forever


[By Legally Blonde] I am a Texan who now lives in Georgia. One of the things I miss the most about my native state is being able to listen to live Texas music pretty much whenever you're in the mood. So I rarely miss an opportunity to go see good Texas musicians when they come to town. This weekend I had the opportunity to see two great acts. Thursday night, Skip and I saw a one-man, acoustic performance by Jack Ingram in a small venue that held about 100 people. It was an inside look into the true "singer/songwriter," as Jack shared the inspirations for and the stories behind his songs.

On Friday night, we turned it up a notch and went with a group of friends to see Robert Earl Keen - with opening acts Reckless Kelly and the Randy Rogers Band - at the newly renovated Buckhead Theatre. Skip is an avid Reckless Kelly fan, so while the rest of us were finishing dinner, he headed to the theatre to catch their act. He sent word that the band was amazing and there was Shiner Bock on tap, so we should get on to the show. We arrived for the Randy Rogers band, which had a devoted following and solid music.
Then REK took the stage - he played newer songs and old songs with a familiar twang, and I was transported back to good old honky tonks, great jukeboxes and sawdust dance floors and simply soaked up the Texas from the stage. It was a great show, topped off by the gracious Rich Brotherton (from Augusta, Ga) who handed me a set list, which he and Bob Keen both signed. I love the inscription from REK because it captures the experience - "Mary (from Dallas)."


And now this Georgia transplant has just enough Texas to make it to the next show.

No comments: