Sunday, January 23, 2011

You've Got Mail



[By: Legally Blonde] My Mom sent me a big envelope full of letters, cards and the like that she found this week in a drawer. It's odd that all of this was together in a drawer in an antique table in her living room. And it's also odd that it was such a motley assortment of greetings. And that they dated back to when I was in high school. Birthday cards from friends I haven't seen in 25 years. Letters from my dear grandmother Peggy. A beautiful letter from my Daddy on my high school graduation, which I read out loud to my boys and Skip and wasn't through the first sentence when I started crying delicious tears of love and gratitude. I also vowed at that moment to forever write letters to those I love to encapsulate the memories and provide something to cherish long after an event or a time has passed.

And apparently, I've always had a knack for writing letters to people I care about. For in the same packet of mementos with letters from Peggy and Daddy were letters that I had written (although apparently had the good sense not to send) to the ones I loved in high school - that's right - FAN MAIL. To Rob Lowe, his little brother Chad, Tom Cruise and Scott Baio. All of these letters were encased in an envelope similar to that above - marked with a special "confidential" stamp and including the words sure to make any celebrity open a piece of mail, "Not just another fan letter!" Because indeed Rob's letter was not just any other fan letter, it was far greater and went something like this:

"Rob - Hey! What's (arrow pointing up)? I live in Dallas and go to Highland Park High School. I've been a big fan of yours since the Outsiders. Can't wait til Saint Elmo's Fire and Youngblood come out! I've heard rumors that you're coming to SMU. Is this true? If it is, I'd love to meet you. My dad is a professor there. If you're not going to SMU, please consider!! Please write amd tell me what your plans are and send me a photo. Stay cool!"

I'm not really sure how I was able to get Rob Lowe's address, but I think it was from Teen Beat magazine. Apparently I wasn't as lucky with Scott Baio, because I addressed his c/o CBS-TV. My favorite aspect of his envelope, as Walkoff pointed out, was the heart that I drew for the dot in the "i" in his last name. My letter to Scott, was much shorter - I essentially told him that I hadn't missed an episode of "Charles in Charge," hoped he would consider movies soon, and that I "just wanted to write to you and tell you how much I love you!" Such sweet words.

I'm pretty sure that my greatest star love was Chad Lowe. I think I still have every episode of "Spencer" on Beta tape. So I will leave you with my very personal "not just another fan letter" to Chad: "Hey Chad! What's up? I am ecstatic (great word isn't it) over your new hopeful Broadway career. See, my sister and brother-in-law are actors in N.Y.C! He is the lead in 'Sunday in the Park with George.' My sister is writing a movie, but there's no telling when it will be out! But I'll write and tell you so you can audition for it! I am simply crushed because Spencer was cancelled. I've memorized every show! Are these lines familiar? [and then I quote about 6 scenes from the show, example: 'See ya' in school...I'll bring a dipstick or something.'] Well now that you know what a great fan I am, I'd like to know more about you! [and then I asked the questions that will really allow you to get to know someone] Who is your favorite actor/actress? (Mine is you!) What is your favorite group? What is your favorite movie? (Mine - Oxford Blues, Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places, Class, Outsiders). Are you planning on doing a movie? If so, have try-outs in Dallas! In the meantime, keep in touch! And send a pic of you to the address below. Stay cool and sexy!"

I'm pretty sure there are more treasures hidden in the house where I grew up. I hope so - because tonight I laughed and I cried and I just enjoyed all of these memories that weave together to make up a small, and sometimes embarrassing, but always distinct, part of my whole life.

1 comment:

Jojo said...

This is precious and it's wonderful that your Mom packaged all of these wonderful memories up for you to be able to enjoy and share.